Thursday, April 22, 2010

Random Thoughts: A Good Book

What is a good book for you? What qualities does the bank have to contain to make it a page-turner or even a keeper?

Some would attribute it to having reached the bestseller's list. After all, if a lot of people from all walks of life buy the book, it's bound to be excellent, right? Still others rely on recommendations, whether it be from a family member, a friend, a blogger or a review site.

I've since come to the realization that one book can be a lot of things to many people. There's a book I've read that I want to use for target practice, yet, some bloggers gush and couldn't say enough good about it. There's still another story that I liked, but another commented that she found it too childish. Hence, reading and loving a book is a very subjective experience.

A good book for me is one that touched my heart, that brought out all the emotions within me, wherein I was able to identify with the characters. It is also one that made me want to keep the book forever on my shelf, to be taken out and read over and over again until it's yellowed and the pages are dog-eared. It's to be shared with friends and family who are fellow book lovers, but to take note to whom I lent it to so I can get it back. LOL

Off the top of my head, books I consider keepers include: This Heart of Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Not Quite A Husband by Sherry Thomas, Once and Always by Judith McNaught, Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught, Paradise by Judith McNaught, the Wind Dancer series by Iris Johansen, This Fierce Splendor by Iris Johansen, and Sleepless at Midnight by Jacquie D'Alessandro.

What's a good book for you?

0 comments:

 

The Raving Reader Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon