Wednesday, December 23, 2009

REVIEW: Serengeti Heat by Vivi Andrews




ISBN 978-1-60504-613-6
Series: Serengeti Shifter Series, Book 1
(c) 2009, Samhain Publishing


"Fabulously well-done lion shifter story, full of heat and romance!"

Ava Minor is secretly in love with Landon King, the alpha of her pride, for months. However, buoyed by her own insecurities, she avoids him, thinking he'd never notice a small lioness like her.

Landon doesn't know Ava existed, until the night her heat draws him, and all he could think of is to make her his. She may be good for a tumble, but when it comes time for him to pick a lioness as mate, who would he choose?

Serengeti Heat is a fabulously well-done lion shifter story, full of heat and romance. I have to admit, it's Ava's angst that drew me in, and the thought of a small beta lioness felling a powerful alpha male like Landon is darn nigh impossible to resist. Happily, Vivi Andrews is a master at her craft, and Serengeti Heat keeps me on a contented afterglow for hours after I finished reading it.

Though Ava is a beta, she's not a pushover, and we see the sparks in her personality that caused Landon to admire her. Yet, the pride holds fast to traditional ways and values. How could Landon convince the pride that the mate of his heart is good for the group and their progress? I won't tell you, since that will spoil the story for you.

The one thing that bothered me in this otherwise perfect story is the return of the two malcontents. I feel that that scene could've been handled in a more satisfactory manner. However, this small thing is not enough to hinder my enjoyment in reading this story. This is a short, fun read that is good for that two hours—or three—in the afternoon when you're bored and want to find some exciting story to read.

Rating: 4.5 stars



9 comments:

Unknown said...

Shana, I love these kinds of stories, when the heroes didn't know what hit them until they realized they'd fallen so deep and hard for the heroines. Love is the best revenge.

Anonymous said...

I've never read a lion shifter before. Gotta try this one. :)

Silver @ TRR said...

Carole, that's a good quote! "Love is the best revenge."

I've read this too and I like it. I was so happy when I learned there's a second one coming. In January, if I'm not mistaken. :)

May said...

Hm...I prefer wolf shifters but I'll give these lion shifters a chance. Good review.

Vivi Andrews said...

Wow. Thank you, Shana, for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Serengeti Heat. And, Silver, you're absolutely right that the next one comes out in just a couple weeks - January 12th for Serengeti Storm. If readers want a taste - or just want to revisit the pride during the holidays - there's a free holiday story available in pdf at the Samhellion right now. Happy holidays and thanks again!

Shana said...

Thanks for dropping by, Vivi. Will have to check out that free story. Looking forward to the next installment! :)

Vivi Andrews said...

Oh! And for May and other lovers of wolf shifter books, might I recommend Kinsey Holley's Kiss & Kin? It's her debut & I just love that story.

Erotic Horizon said...

This is so going on my list..... I love a shifter book..

E.H>

Silver @ TRR said...

@Vivi Oh yes, I've read Kinsey Holley's story too. It's quite good! I know at the end of the book, I wanted a second story featuring Lark's best friend and that yummy Alpha Nick.

 

The Raving Reader Published @ 2014 by Ipietoon